Saturday, June 20, 2009

Surprising Revelation

At some point last year, my devotions ground into dust. I felt like I tried everything (different translations, complementary books, etc). Nothing worked. First time in my life it'd happened like that.

Then, for a freelance project, I started doing research using William Hendriksen's amazingly even-handed New Testament Commentary series (Baker) on Matthew. Upon my dad's recommendation, I'd used them in the past, but suddenly the depth and breadth (he's unafraid to offer competing theories/insights that he might not agree with before he clearly states his preference) spoke to me.

I immediately began using that as my daily reading, highlighting the historical and spiritual insights throughout. My devotions blazed alive. My Sunday school lesson got stronger. Sharing Christ got easier.

Yes, Hendriksen comes from a Dutch Reformed background, but there are only the usual differences we always face (and understand). There's no spiritual subterfuge here to confuse. (He died before completing the New Testament, so Simon J. Kistemaker finished the series for him. There doesn't appear to be many differences in their approach.)

Yes, commentaries are expensive, but used copies abound on the internet. Besides, if you like new hardbacks, ask for 1-2 every birthday and Christmas for your library. It doesn't take long.

For you non-Bible Scholars, this series (I've dabbled in difference gospels and pastorals, danced through every chapter of Romans) is accessible, clear, and teachable. He created it for pastors and teachers (and people whose devotions pancaked against the proverbial wall).

For you Bible Scholars, I'm sure you have your preferences, but don't overlook this series. It compiles a lot of information from knowledgeable sources in clean English. I'm guessing that's still the exception to the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment