Thursday, December 17, 2009

An Apostolic Arts Movement?

In 90&9’s year-end cover article, we asked Apostolics of every rank and demographic to evaluate how the last decade changed the Apostolic movement, to name a highlight, and to describe the next decade’s biggest challenge. It’s a great read.

I defined the biggest change as follows: “After virtually ignoring them for our first 100+ years, there is a glimmering interest in unleashing the arts to share the Gospel. There are undernoticed efforts throughout our movement (writing, video, graphic design, live theatre), going on right now. I’m optimistic this will blossom in the next decade. After all, we have the better story.”

Artistic Revival?

Frankly, if there’s a blossoming of the arts within Pentecost over the coming generation or two, I believe they’ll look back and notice the essential seeds for that growth being planted in this first decade of the new century. For that to be true, it will take creative pioneers willing to sacrifice time, talent, and energy toward an end goal without a promise of success because that is their calling. (Yet, how different is that from Abraham’s mad wanderings through the desert because of his calling from God?)

If there’s one truth my recent trip to Italy drove home is that the arts alone provide universal access to anyone interested in story or beauty. Unbelievers cannot resist beauty. That’s why we must be contributing to its creation.

Unappreciated Calling
It also occurred to me that most of the artistic beauty in Italy is by unknowns. For every Michelangelo and Da Vinci masterpiece, there are hundreds of best efforts by the long-forgotten, yet they still touch people hundreds of years later. True, it’s easier (in one sense) for the visual and musical arts to be transported across the ages, but words are the most portable art form invented. English is in ascent, as close to a universal language as we'll have this century, guaranteeing an available audience. Words are my calling.

I’m going to make sure this unknown will be helping make the arts in the Apostolic movement more obvious than ever. I won’t be alone. The most popular elective at this year’s Forum was the “My Calling: The Arts—Is there life outside of Pentecost?” session. The room was packed with 20somethings eager to discuss writing, graphic design, music, and other artistic callings. (Frankly, we were shocked at the turn out yet we shouldn’t have been. Too many Apostolics are hungry to use their unusual talents to reach others.)

I’ve set my mind on Writing Conference I will attend, articles I will freelance, and stories I will complete (by set deadlines). That’s the only way I can prove I believe in my calling.

4 comments:

  1. Also at this years Forum we talked about the poverty mentality of many of our leadership that makes them squeamish about dedicating resources to ministries that can’t sow miserable benefit (aka baptisms). Although we talked about it with respect to social justice I think the same forces are at play with respect to the arts. One thing that gives me hope is that many churches are starting to stream video on the website even though most are aware that it's unlikely that they will see measurable benefit (aka baptisms / new members). Collectively we APs have been able to tolerate spending the minimal amount of resources required for limited web-based projects and hopefully this tolerance of spending for unmeasurable benefit will extend to more resource intensive projects like the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Long forgotten" ??

    Like Ghiberti and Brunelleschi? Or are you thinking the more obscure "long forgotten?"

    I was visiting a church recently and lamented the lack of . . . or should I perhaps say instead that I would have preferred something a little less sparse when it came to decorative arts. I don't need a Rembrandt or a Michelangelo, but I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of artistic expression. I mean the walls were like a blank slate just waiting for something to adorn them...

    Thanks for your thoughtful post. And I'm glad that Italia inspired you. It's an inspiring place. I just love Florence.

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some, G&B are long forgotten. Look through the table of contents of Vasari's "Lives of the Artists" and it's amazing how many of these notables are now unknown.

    The Italian churches are full of good-to-great work, but rarely do the guidebooks find it necessary to name the artist. Yet they still speak.

    So should we.

    And yes, Florence is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Good point. Vasari's list does include quite a few I have NEVER heard of. But then again I'm sure there are dozens of 'famous' gospel musicians and composers we've never heard of, either. At least I know there are hundreds of well known that I don't know.

    I really loved your post. I should have said that earlier. Thanks for your thoughtfulness. Maybe I should take up drawing.

    EG

    ReplyDelete