Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Creative Nonfiction

There is a genre that I was unfamiliar with as such until about a month ago that I'm rather taken by: creative nonfiction. I think this is a type of writing I could excel at if I decide that I do want to become an I-want-to-be-taken-seriously writer. Essays and memoirs (which, of course, I am familiar with) do fall under the creative nonfiction umbrella, but I've since discovered it is more than that.

Thanks to a quite literarily accomplished friend (MFA, published writer), I've been exposed to the creative ends that creative non-fiction can reach. I borrowed her Creative Nonfiction anthology, and read some examples she linked to me. Click here to read a piece in the form of an interview. (Click here to see my attempt modeled after the same form.)

Another exploration of creative nonfiction centers around what's known as "found text." Things like warning labels, encyclopedia or dictionary entries, periodical blurbs could all be considered found text. Here's another interesting piece centered around a disclaimer statement.

I'll keep experimenting and see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment