Friday, October 22, 2010

Creating a Culture that Fosters Writing

Something there is in a postmodern that loves to hear a story. But... postmoderns should also love to tell a story.

Kent said it best: We need more Lukes!

Cut to my life. I’m overjoyed to report that since I last blogged on helping one of my students start a book, a second student has come to me about writing a novel! (All this while I helped a first-semester student publish some short fiction, and she’s raring for more.) I truly am happier about seeing my students progress with their writing than I am about any of my own projects.

We do need more Lukes, and I think it’s incumbent upon both teachers and experienced Apostolic writers to encourage our peers and those coming after us. So on the heels of Kent’s post, I want to figure out how we can foster and encourage more Lukes.

Why the Surge in Writing?

Here’s why I think writing is starting to blossom at our college:

1)Our administration over the last ten years has implemented writing across the curriculum. While there will always be some students who struggle with this, I believe it has shown students the value of writing, and the practice has developed articulate students who can communicate aptly through written word. The policy itself says to students that writing matters.

2)I believe that now its fifth year, the Writing Center is achieving one of its purposes. It is initiating student writing projects by giving them both a place to seek guidance and encouragement as well as technical support and training.

3)And…

It Just Takes One

Maybe the biggest factor is just how contagious writing can be. When word got out that the first student was writing a book, it encouraged the second student to take action on a dream he’d never (for whatever reason) been able to pursue on his own.

The point? Alone and isolated, the idea of writing—much less getting published—seems foreign and unattainable. But when you see the testimony of someone else, you have a model that builds your faith in the process and the possibilities.

So How Do We Apply This

If we agree the world needs more Lukes, we need to help writers around us. Here’s what I came up with by applying what’s worked for us at the college.

#1 – Support through Community.... If you know someone with an interest in writing, get them connected to this blog. It can provide them with a network of support as well as practical writing help.

#2 – Partner with the Writer.... Help someone with those “getting started” woes—you remember how overwhelming it was. A positive word can validate and give courage to what could be one of our next great Apostolic writers. Help him/her—we don’t need lone ranger Apostolic writers out there battling with no support. Writing is a solitary enough act as it is; at least be a positive voice for the fledgling writer. Encourage, encourage, encourage!

What’s in It for Me?

I subscribe to the belief that in helping others, your writing craft will be strengthened. Not some kind of help-them-and-the-universe-will-one-day-give-back-to-you-the-perfect-novel-of-your-own karma vibe, but in seeing where these writers struggle and helping them through it, I’m learning how to apply this to my own writing one day. And most importantly, and it’s incredibly fulfilling be part of the process of a writer finding his/her voice.

Homework

A - Who do you know who has a story that needs to be told? Help him or her. It’ll strengthen your ability as you look from the outside-in over someone else’s shoulder, and you’ll bless that person whose story needs to be told and the world who needs to hear it.

B - Let's create a list of helpful books for beginning writers. What 3 must-read books would your recommend to a new writer getting started? Won't you share?

2 comments:

  1. Lee Ann,
    This was a fabulous "application" post whether or not anyone read my "Luke" post. Well done.

    3 must read books for Fiction writers:
    1. Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell
    2. The Art of Fiction by John Gardner
    3. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (warning: foul language alert!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post, as always. So love the encouragement writers find here.

    I am waiting for my proof copy of my first published work and would be happy to work with writers who need an editor/audience/outside voice. Perhaps what we need is a forum or connection point of some kind for writers to meet online? I think there are more of us out there than we know.

    I couldn't think of three books, but three resources I have found helpful:

    1. How to Write and Sell a Christian Novel - Gilbert Morris - full of lots of useful tools for writing.

    2. Createspace.com - self-publishing arm of Amazon.com which also has a writers forum/community for feedback.

    3. Dictionary.com - best dictionary/grammar/thesaurus tool known to writers.

    Most importantly - hold on to the dream God gives you! Some day you might grow up to be a writer!

    ReplyDelete