Friday, December 31, 2010

Ringing in the New Year with Reading

Some make resolutions. Others make a point not to make resolutions. For readers, January means a time to map out the year's reading list.

Something Old
Perhaps it's the literature teacher in me, but when it's time to start a new book, I first turn to the lit classics list. This year I'd like to explore some big writers I know nothing about beyond their famous names. So... Carson McCullers' The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter and Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse.

Something New
In November, The Instructions was released by new writer Adam Levin that I imagine we'll be talking about soon on this blog. Ingredients: +900 page novel narrated by a 10 year-old, faith issues, psychologically complex, theologically charged, and so on. Since it is faith-focused and is capturing the attention of critics, it may be a candidate for Word discussion.

On a lighter, offbeat note, I like the sound of Shane Jones' Light Boxes. The big picture: a nonlinear, creative look at seasonal affective disorder. The premise: a town perpetually stuck in February tries to get rid of winter. Maybe I'll take it up in February!

Something Borrowed
In 2010 my reading was centered more on nonfiction than fiction, which was a first. But there's no substitute for printed media when you're researching. (And again this year I'll be reading several more war memoirs for a research project I'm doing that will involve the help of our friendly local library.) Also with the library's aid, I'm hoping to finally get around to Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation six years after the rest of the world.

Something True
I've always been fascinated by Flannery O'Connor. I'd like to round out the year with a look into her life and work from her own voice through The Habit of Being: Letters of Flannery O'Connor.

So a diverse reading list I like to think. It should make for an interesting and eventful year. Best of luck to all of you with your 2011 reading pursuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment