Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Appeal of the New Memoir


The voice of memoir offers its readers an occasion for personal identification so that a reader can find him or herself within the story of another and perhaps borrow the wisdom, healing or insight from similar life threads.
~Stephanie Smith

I like the immediacy of blogging and the peek it gives me into the worlds of so many people. I like to read blogs on certain topics, food blogs, for instance. But I also like those blogs that function as a journal for the world to read. Used to be, you locked your journal up because you didn't want you little sister to read it. Now you hit the "post" button and hope people on the far side of the world are on your subscription list.

Confession: I follow a lot of blogs. Checking my blog roll is a morning ritual, as is my cup of tea and my Bible reading. Most of the people whose blogs I read are not people I know personally. I discovered these bloggers because of googling shared mutual interests. I let these people speak into my life everyday, or at least as often as they post, often because of their honesty about where they are emotionally and spiritually. They help me understand that my struggles are not unique to my own experience, but neither are the victories, nor the blessings that God lavishes upon his children.

Is my interest in reading other people's journals and writing my own online blog an indication of my post-modern narcissism? Or can it be redeemed? Stephanie Smith takes on this very dilemma in "Memoirs: Self-Obsessed or Sacramental?"

Jesus promises in Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

You might just be reaching "the uttermost part of the earth" in your next blogpost. How does God's work in your life figure in the sneak-peek you give the world with your latest pic and existential insight?

No comments:

Post a Comment