Saturday, January 22, 2011

Holy Ghost as Metaphor as Mission Field

I've been asked to participate/speak in a Arts in Worship class, so I've been mulling over accurately including (non-church) worship into fiction and non-fiction. The text is the justly lauded For the Beauty of the Church, which contains this gem from screenwriter Barbara Nicolosi:

"Artists genuinely perceive spiritual realities, and then they open up their mouths and speak in metaphor because they don't kjnow how else to get through to the rest of us who are so obtuse."

Finding the correct metaphors so that non-spiritually thinking humans can comprehend, then understand, then experience is our biggest spiritual challenge. Placing those metaphors into a fantastic story within beautiful sentences makes it even harder. But I refuse to accept it can't be done.

It's more likely some Christians with writing talent are refusing their mission field because it is hard, frustrating and we have to learn a new language (metaphors) that doesn't come easily and in many ways, is still being created.

Still, what an honor to be part of the team God entrusts to create a vibrant language! It's how we choose to see it I suppose.

4 comments:

  1. Blessings on this. I am not an actor but I think they can be coached into looking like they understand spiritual things but I find it hard to believe they can sense the truth. If they could they would either repent or run.

    Be salt and light.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kent: thought I commented on this post already. I'm so happy to learn you are participating in this class. I look forward to hearing how it goes. Is it at church, a college? Tell us more! BTW, I borrowed what you said about Christians refusing their mission field for my Facebook status. (Still need to read that book!)

    To Pumice: I think you're right. It's bothered me about actors for years. It's sad that people can convey truth so effectively, and yet be so oblivious to it. I've liked the actor Ioan Gruffudd for years because of his heroic character in the Horatio Hornblower series, but he has played roles that I won't watch him in. But then he played William Wilberforce in _Amazing Grace_! I pray two things: that God will impress each of us with the truth even when the method or bearer is tainted, and transform the hearts of the artists (including actors) who pantomime truth without living it.


    Now back to writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's an thoughtful discussion on this topic over at Transpositions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE: Transpositions -- Well thank goodness I posted on this topic first. :)

    The Arts in Worship class is at a college and I'll be speaking over 2 class periods. Tres excited, but much to mull over before my early March classes.

    Finally, I don't think I've ever had the honor of being quoted in FB. Thanks for being the first. (Mom will be so proud. :)

    ReplyDelete