Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pentecostal Poets

This week in World Literature class, we read “Credo” by Maxine Kumin—a reflection on Native American beliefs regarding nature and creation. As I stressed to the class a need for an Apostolic expression of our credos as well, I wondered where we are as Oneness Pentecostals with a presence in poetry.

I know, I know… I discussed the value of poetry last post too. Not sure why I’m stuck on it. I’m still not saying I prefer poetry to prose, but I see its place. And I see a need for Apostolics’ place in published poetry.

An argument for Apostolic poetry:

  1. For readers... We’ve talked before about how reading is mutating in the twenty-first century. Kent mentioned changes in traditional book printing, which I believe reflect cultural changes as much as those in technology. I don’t think people are not reading—I just think they’re reading different types of things—looking to the Internet for “literature in a hurry.” Poetry fits the bill. It’s not overwhelming. Read a poem here or there, skip around, whatever. It is not an intimidating commitment, unlike the shelves of novels the busy North American bypasses. So poetry is a target for readers in today’s culture.
  2. For writers… There’s no evading the fact that writing takes work. I’ll not deny that. But the culinary enthusiast who may despair at the thought of baking a wedding cake may thrive at the challenge of grilling a porterhouse. Instead of months of structuring elaborate plots and subplots, hyper-focus on a stanza or two. Poetry is do-able. (And it doesn’t have to rhyme…. But that’s a post for another day.)
  3. For publishing… The Internet provides new avenues for publishing all genres, not the least of which is poetry. Any given blog could become home to a writer’s collection of poems. But traditional publishing is especially feasible for poets. Chapbooks (think cheap-books) are collections of writings around the forty page mark, and they are just as popular now as they were in the 1400s when they surfaced. They can be printed inexpensively, meaning writers have a workable plan for publishing their work without some of the big questions marks a novel represents.

So… do we have any Apostolic poets out there? Let us hear from you. Send a link to your blogs/sites/etc. And please pass on any tips you think would help other poets in progress.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I was just telling Marj about my penchant for poetry. I enjoy reading it, but it is also my favorite genre to write. I have published a couple of pieces, one of which was included in The Penwood Review's print journal a couple of years back. I also won several writing competitions in college.

    That said, I haven't write specifically about the A/P experience. But I think there is fruit ripe for the picking in the Spirit-filled experience. In my classes at UGST, I'm becoming more aware of the Scripture as a work of great literature, brimming with soul-satisfying poetry. We consider the Scriptures full inspired by God for instructional purposes: doctrine, reproof, correction, instruction in righteousness. But have we thought about the way in which Scripture can instruct and inspire our writing and art?

    What is so amazing to me about Scripture (and this is something I've spent the last several weeks considering for an academic research paper) is the way God's story makes room for the human experience. We believe that the Scripture was fully inspired by God, and yet not every view point expressed or action taken within the Scripture is inspired. God is sovereign, but He gives humans free will. And act on it, we do! There is so much in Scriptures and in life that doesn't seem to add up in the immediate context. It has to be looked at in the broader timeline.

    What I've found in poetry a place to express aspects of life that are too confusing, too poignant, too ironic, to otherwise appropriate. I think that poetry provides a context for the kaleidoscope of images and emotions that are part of human experience but that might not seem to fit in our "story" as we think it should be told. Maybe some people think in terms of action and plot, but I think more like a poet gathering sharp fragments for a mosaic. And then begins the poet's greatest challenge: to give those fragments form.

    In this picking up pieces and shaping forms, I think we experience a little of God's creative work in our lives. He works with our fragments and tells a story spanning all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thoughts about a need for
      Pentecostal poetry. I am Church of God
      and write inspirational and sacred poetry.
      One problem for such poets is that poetry
      other than sentimental poetry (which I
      wish I could write, but can't)is not
      generally read and appreciated by Pentecostals. In fact, I think many of
      my church friends are not aware of how
      much poetry is in the bible. In other
      words, there is not a wide market among
      my church friends and family for the kind
      of poetry I write. Yet, I cannot help
      but write poetry that is Christian though not always religious.
      Thanks for your interests and concerns
      for the need for Pentecostal poets.

      Christian

      Delete
  2. I'm Pentecostal and I write poetry. You can find some of them on the following forum:

    http://apostolicpentecostaloneness.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=38341&p=3&topicID=1169112

    - Sarah M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Christian, I have also experienced a year with a group of Oneness Christians. I believe that you all are missing the mark. Why waste your precious God given time trying to be cool! The world is dying without Christ! Give them Jesus! Not a lot of mumbo, jumbo. If you would like to read some of the poems the Holy Spirit has shared with me, I would be honored to share them with you all.
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete